Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Animals of the Mariposa

Technically, I should be studying, but I thought I'd take a short break to show you the animals of La Mariposa. There's a wide variety of "pets" here and many of them are rescued animals.

Our favorite is a cute, little dog called Foxy. She was a street dog in Managua who was supposed to be rescued and given to a family that Paulette knows, but she fell in love and Foxy has been here ever since. I think Paulette will miss her when we sneak her home in our luggage. :-)
I have a love/hate relationship with the guinea hens. They are a bit bizarre looking and make a high-pitched squeaking sound which is really annoying at 4:00am, but for some reason, I still find them amusing.

Lately, I've taken on watching one of the ducks. She's laying her eggs in a terracotta planter. We're afraid that the dogs will eat the eggs, so we're taking all but one away and putting them in a safe place. (My understanding is that after a 20 day gestation period, the eggs will be put under a hen. The ducklings hatch and then are adopted by the hen. At some point, they're taken to a pond where they are taught how to swim) I'd love to see some ducklings following a hen, but we won't be here long enough.
The monkeys are pretty cute as well and it's fun to watch them play together.

I mentioned the pigs before. While there have been a few other escapes, there was only one that equaled the one we participated in.


The birds are plentiful and colorful and like the guinea hens, like to make noise early in the morning.

It wouldn't be right to leave out the dreaded rooster, so here he is.
I also threw in a picture of a cicada. While they aren't pets, they certainly are part of the animal/insect life here. The picture really doesn't do justice to the size of them.

I have a soft spot for the hens whose feathers grow in the opposite direction.

And there is a little white hen that lives in the library. She likes to sit behind the television amongst the DVDs. It's rather funny if you don't know that she's there and you hear clucking coming from the TV.

I shouldn't forget about the cats. There are three of them and we are not pleased with one of them. It's taken to using the plant near our room as a litter box. J.B. went crazy one day trying to find out where the foul odor was coming from. He finally found it and we had the offending item removed. Unfortunately, we had to go through this process for a few days before the cleaners found a way to dissuade the cat from doing it's business there.